Tag Archives: religious buildings

Looking south on Vermont Avenue from 23rd Street, 1929-2013

1929-2013 During the first few decades of the 20th century, the section of Vermont Avenue between Adams and Washington Boulevards developed a substantial neighborhood business district serving northern University Park. Although many of its older buildings have since disappeared, a … Continue reading

Posted in Los Angeles, Then and now, University Park | Tagged | 1 Comment

West side of Main Street south of Second Street, 1952-2013

1952-2013 Like many other of Charles Cushman’s Los Angeles photographs, the top view shows a beleaguered block of Main Street on the verge of its demise. Completed in 1894, the white building at 227 South Main Street was the longtime … Continue reading

Posted in Downtown, Los Angeles, Then and now | Tagged , , | 1 Comment

Northwest corner of Sixth Street and New Hampshire Avenue, 1985-2011

1985-2011 Though better known for its landmark religious buildings of more established denominations,┬áLos Angeles’ Wilshire District also gave birth to one of the larger 20th century American spiritual movements, Religious Science. Established by Ernest Holmes during the 1920s, the Institute … Continue reading

Posted in Koreatown/Mid-Wilshire, Los Angeles, Then and now | Tagged | 1 Comment

Looking north on Hope Street from Eighth Street, 1972-2011

1972-2011 Few architects have left a greater physical legacy on Los Angeles’ Financial District than the architect-developer Charles Luckman. In conjunction with his development firm, the Ogden Development Corporation, Charles Luckman Associates built two of the Financial District’s largest structures, … Continue reading

Posted in Downtown, Los Angeles, Then and now | Tagged , , | 1 Comment

First Methodist Church, southwest corner of Eighth and Hope Streets, 1983-2011

1983-2011 In 1913, merely a decade after the completion of its church at Sixth and Hill Streets, the First Methodist Church purchased a plot at the southwest corner of Eighth and Hope Streets, then occupied by the Abbotsford Inn. Faced … Continue reading

Posted in Downtown, Los Angeles, Then and now | Tagged , | 2 Comments

Northeast corner of Ninth and Hope Streets, c.1902-2011

c. 1902-2011 Los Angeles’ Temple B’nai B’rith, the city’s largest Jewish congregation since its founding in the 1860s, laid the cornerstone for its second synagogue in 1896, at the northeast corner of Ninth and Hope Streets. The red brick temple, … Continue reading

Posted in Downtown, Los Angeles, Then and now | Tagged , | Leave a comment

West side of Olive Street at Fifth Street, 1985-2011

1985-2011 The Philharmonic Auditorium was not the only historic building to disappear from Pershing Square’s perimeter in the 1980s. Two of the Auditorium’s longstanding neighbors, the First German United Methodist Church and the former Auditorium Hotel, were demolished in 1988 … Continue reading

Posted in Downtown, Los Angeles, Then and now | Tagged , | 1 Comment