Despite major demographic shifts in its surrounding neighborhood, the corner of Seventh and Alvarado Streets has persisted for the past century as one of Los Angeles’ busiest intersections. As shown in the above photographs, central Westlake has seen relatively few changes to its building stock since the 1920s. Each of the seven buildings in the original view remains today, facade modifications notwithstanding.
Although not very remarkable architecturally, the one-story building at the center of the photographs (next to the Alvarado Theatre) has housed two of the city’s most renown food businesses. Around 1922, the storefront at 2030 West Seventh Street became the third location of See’s Candies, then at the beginning of its rapid expansion across Southern California. Since 1947, the building has been home to Langer’s Delicatessen-Restaurant, presently one of the city’s few surviving Jewish delicatessens. After two additions to its original space, the ever-popular restaurant has occupied the full Alvarado Street frontage since 1968.
Source: See’s Candies. Advertisement. Los Angeles Times. 21 Oct. 1922. II8.
Original photo: Dick Whittington Studio. “Citizens Trust & Savings, 7th Street & Alvarado Street branch, Los Angeles, CA, 1927 – DW-1927-78-12-44.” Dick Whittington Photography Collection. USC Digital Library. USC Libraries Special Collections. http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/ref/collection/p15799coll170/id/70654