In the early decades of Los Angeles’ industrial growth, Los Angeles Street was the primary artery of the city’s wholesale and manufacturing districts, immediately to the east of its civic and commercial center. In addition to its many warehouses, the top photograph shows the thoroughfare’s thick traffic of horse-drawn wagons, which loaded and unloaded their goods along the sidewalk.
During the interwar years, the upper end of Los Angeles Street fell into obsolescence as the city’s growing industrial core spread to newer districts to the south and east. The scattered old structures that remained on the north 100 block were demolished in the early 1950s to make way for two Civic Center projects, the General Services Department (far left) and the Los Angeles Police Department’s Parker Center (right).
An elevated view of the same block in 1907 [USC Digital Library]
Original photo: “CHS-M578 – Los Angeles Street, north from First Street, Los Angeles, ca. 1910.” Title Insurance and Trust/C. C. Pierce Photography Collection. USC Digital Library. USC Libraries Special Collections. http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search/controller/view/chs-m578.html.