Up through the Second World War, Figueroa Street marked the boundary between Los Angeles’ business center and the dense residential neighborhoods to its west. Later decades have since transformed the thoroughfare into one of the primary avenues of a prototypical Modernist office district. In the early 1960s, during the first phase of the Bunker Hill Redevelopment Project, Figueroa Street was cleared, regraded, and widened north of Fifth Street. The left side of the contemporary view shows the parking structure at the base of Union Bank Square (1967), linked by a pedestrian bridge to the Westin Bonaventure Hotel.
Original photo: “CHS-M226 – View of traffic on Figueroa Street, looking north, November 1941.” Title Insurance and Trust/C. C. Pierce Photography Collection. USC Digital Library. USC Libraries Special Collections. http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assetserver/controller/view/CHS-32965.