The small tract of land just southwest of the intersection of Wilshire Boulevard and Western Avenue was opened to development in 1906. The subdivision, known as Western-Wilshire Heights, ran west of Western Avenue between Wilshire Boulevard and Seventh Street, bisected by a somewhat secluded stretch of Ingraham Street. Much like the rest of the Wilshire District, Ingraham Street was initially built up with single-family homes, as pictured in the 1938 photograph.
Today, this block of Ingraham Street looks substantially different. Each of the houses on the south side of the street has been replaced by larger apartment buildings, while the north side is mostly occupied by parking facilities for businesses facing Wilshire Boulevard.
Source: “Court aids progress in city march.” Los Angeles Times. 26 Oct. 1927. A13.
Original photo: “Curb parking on Ingraham Street east of St. Andrews Place (first street south of Wilshire), Los Angeles, 1938.” 1938. Automobile Club of Southern California engineering notebook photoprints. USC Digital Library. Automobile Club of Southern California. http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assetserver/controller/view/search/AAA-EN-106-75.