The intersection of Fourth and Hill Streets, once a bustling crossing between Bunker Hill and Pershing Square, is now a patch of no mans land near the center of downtown. In this view, most buildings on the west side of Hill Street (left) were demolished during Bunker Hill’s redevelopment, while general abandonment and decay took their toll on the east side.
The three-story building at the intersection’s southeast corner (far right) was built as the Hotel Clarendon in 1895, and torn down in 1939 to make way for the parking lot which still stands today. Information on the domed Hotel Brighton at the northeast corner is scarce, though it presumably suffered a similar fate. In its place today is an entrance to Metro’s Pershing Square subway station.
Source: “Downtown Los Angeles landmark razed.” Los Angeles Times. 27 Aug. 1939. F3.
Original photo: “Hill Street between Third Street and Fourth Street, showing a streecar, ca. 1930-1939 – chs-m281.” California Historical Society Collection. USC Digital Library. USC Libraries Special Collections. http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assetserver/controller/view/search/CHS-31047.