Although Wilshire Center’s office boom did not truly pick up until the 1960s, Wilshire Boulevard had already lost much of its residential character by the early postwar years. A close look at the original photo shows that the Mediterranean Revival house at 3563 Wilshire has already been converted into an office for the “Copease Corporation.” The Tudor Revival mansion on the other side of Kingsley Drive was replaced one decade later by the boldly Brutalist St. Basil Catholic Church.
Original photo: “View of Wilshire Boulevard from Ardmore Avenue, March 1956 – chs-m20864.” Mar. 1956. California Historical Society Collection. USC Digital Library. USC Libraries Special Collections. 13 Sep. 2010. http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search/controller/view/chs-m20864.html?x=1284437122833.